The Myobrace® System
- After identifying the causes of underdeveloped jaws and crooked teeth, the myofunctional habits have to be treated. Myobrace® focuses on addressing these underlying causes by getting the children to breathe through their nose, keep their lips together and placing their tongue in the roof of the mouth so the jaws can grow to their proper and full size. This allows enough space for the teeth and usually the teeth naturally come in straight without needing braces. Treatment is best suited to children aged 3 to 15 and involves using a series of removable intra-oral appliances that are worn for 1-2 hours each day plus overnight while sleeping. There are four stages of treatment with Myobrace® involving habit correction, arch expansion, dental alignment and then retention
- Waiting until all permanent teeth have come through to begin treatment with braces can unfortunately lead to irreversible damage affecting not only the teeth, but also the child's overall health and development. Poor myofunctional habits (poor oral habits) are evident before all permanent teeth are present, which means treatment of the causes can begin much earlier than originally thought. This can be as early as three years of age.
- Developed by Myofunctional Research Co. (MRC), Myobrace® provides treatment options that address the underlying causes of crooked teeth before all the permanent teeth have emerged and without braces or extractions, unlocking healthy growth and development.
- Suitable for a wide variety of orthodontic concerns, Myobrace® treatment offers a range of solutions for children aged 3 to 15, and is most effective in early childhood development stages from ages 6 to 10.
- Myobrace® treatment works by focusing on correcting the poor oral habits which are the underlying causes of orthodontic problems. Treatment involes the use of a series of removable oral appliances in conjunction with the patient education program, which assists in correcting poor oral habits by training the tongue to sit correctly in the roof of the mouth, teaching correct swallowing patterns and instructing children to breathe through their nose. The effect produces not only straighter teeth and well-developed jaws, but also improves facial development as well as reducing the need for braces and extractions
- The Myobrace® appliances must be worn for 1-2 hours every day plus overnight sleeping to be effective. In addition, the patient education program known as Myobrace® Activities are used to further correct the myofunctional habits causing the incorrect dental and jaw development.
- There are four stages of treatment with Myobrace® involving habit correction, arch expansion, dental alignment and retention. The appliances assist in correcting poor oral habits and expand the arch-form while exerting light forces to align the teeth and jaws